BURLINGTON — University of Vermont police have arrested three people from New York on suspicion of bringing about $70,000 worth of drugs by bus.
Police said they seized 1,400 bags of heroin, 1,000 oxycodone pills and 4 ounces of crack cocaine during the arrests this week of Shirley Colon, 21, and, Desean Nisbett, 21, both of the Bronx, and Sahirah Rasul, 17, of Brooklyn. More arrests are possible, police said.
UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau said that campus, municipal and federal law enforcement have for months been aware of potential criminal activity where the Megabus docks at the university’s Davis Center, UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau told the Burlington Free Press.
“We were aware there was information in the police community that the buses had criminal activity around drugs. We’ve specifically made our patrol aware of it for weeks now,” he said Thursday.
Megabus.com/Coach USA spokesman Mike Alvich said his company had been notified of the drug investigation.
“We cooperated 100 percent, and the authorities then moved in and made some arrests,” he said.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.