BURLINGTON — University of Vermont police have arrested three people from New York on suspicion of bringing about $70,000 worth of drugs by bus.
Police said they seized 1,400 bags of heroin, 1,000 oxycodone pills and 4 ounces of crack cocaine during the arrests this week of Shirley Colon, 21, and, Desean Nisbett, 21, both of the Bronx, and Sahirah Rasul, 17, of Brooklyn. More arrests are possible, police said.
UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau said that campus, municipal and federal law enforcement have for months been aware of potential criminal activity where the Megabus docks at the university’s Davis Center, UVM Police Capt. Tim Bilodeau told the Burlington Free Press.
“We were aware there was information in the police community that the buses had criminal activity around drugs. We’ve specifically made our patrol aware of it for weeks now,” he said Thursday.
Megabus.com/Coach USA spokesman Mike Alvich said his company had been notified of the drug investigation.
“We cooperated 100 percent, and the authorities then moved in and made some arrests,” he said.MORE IN Vermont News(Editor’s note: This is the final part of an Associated Press series of profiles on candidates... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.