Suspect died by carbon monoxideMarch 09,2013WEST HAVEN, Conn. — Vermont records say a Connecticut man found dead after being charged in an alleged child sex slave case committed suicide by carbon monoxide.
The New Haven Register reported Friday that a death certificate it obtained from Vermont authorities said 39-year-old Frank Meyer of West Haven died from burning charcoal in a confined space. He was found dead Tuesday in Newfane, Vt.
Meyer and 42-year-old Brett Bartolotta of Cavendish, Vt., pleaded not guilty to aggravated sexual assault and slave trafficking.
Authorities said the men bribed a boy to perform sex acts in Vermont for several years beginning when the boy was 12. The alleged victim is now 25.
Meyer, a West Haven 911 dispatcher, was suspended. West Haven officials said there’s no indication he engaged in improprieties there, but police executed a sealed search warrant on his property.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.