MONTPELIER — It’s tax season again, and Vermont officials are reminding residents of the opportunity to donate to worthy causes as they file their taxes.
Gov. Peter Shumlin has been talking up the newest “check-off box” on the Vermont tax form, which allows filers to donate to the Vermont Veterans Fund. The Veterans Fund, which supports programs to help those who have served, joins the Nongame Wildlife Fund and the Children’s Trust Fund as causes designated by lawmakers as worthy of being included on Vermont tax forms.
The Nongame Wildlife Fund goes to protect and restore Vermont’s endangered wildlife including bald eagles, turtles, butterflies and bats.
The Children’s Trust Fund raises money for after-school care, parenting education, teen leadership, literacy programs, preschool programs and substance abuse prevention.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.