MONTPELIER — It’s tax season again, and Vermont officials are reminding residents of the opportunity to donate to worthy causes as they file their taxes.
Gov. Peter Shumlin has been talking up the newest “check-off box” on the Vermont tax form, which allows filers to donate to the Vermont Veterans Fund. The Veterans Fund, which supports programs to help those who have served, joins the Nongame Wildlife Fund and the Children’s Trust Fund as causes designated by lawmakers as worthy of being included on Vermont tax forms.
The Nongame Wildlife Fund goes to protect and restore Vermont’s endangered wildlife including bald eagles, turtles, butterflies and bats.
The Children’s Trust Fund raises money for after-school care, parenting education, teen leadership, literacy programs, preschool programs and substance abuse prevention.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe former superintendent of the Caledonia Central Supervisory Union involved in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.