Vehicle strikes moving trainMarch 11,2013SOUTH BURLINGTON — A 61-year-old Vermont woman suffered minor injuries when her car struck a moving freight train after her shoe strap got snagged underneath her brake and gas pedals.
Police said Carol Gardner, of South Burlington, was approaching a railroad crossing in South Burlington at about 12:30 p.m. when she couldn’t bring her car to a full stop because her shoe strap was caught.
Police say her car went through the railroad safety gate and clipped the second-to-last car on the train.
Officials said Vermont Rail System was contacted and inspected the train.
Gardner was taken to a hospital for evaluation. Police said her car was a total loss.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation