Burlington mayor calls for gun controlMarch 11,2013BURLINGTON — Burlington’s mayor is speaking out in a national public service announcement calling for more gun control measures.
Miro Weinberger is one of 30 U.S. mayors to appear in the ad released Thursday by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
The ad features the mayors calling on Congress to pass laws to require background checks on gun sales, limit military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and make gun trafficking a federal crime.
“No more neighborhoods in mourning,” Weinberger says in his brief appearance in the ad.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a national coalition started by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg that includes more than 900 mayors from 45 states.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes for fiction and biography. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and staff writer Brent Curtis discuss some of the stories... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.