Police: Debt leads to assault, robberyMarch 11,2013Police: Debt leads to assault, robbery
BENNINGTON — Police said a robbery victim was able to identify his assailant because the victim owed his attacker money for a drug deal.
Friday, Bennington police responded to Bank Street and spoke with a man who said he had been punched in the face and had his cellphone stolen by Ziyaad Madany, 21, of Bennington, according to police.
The victim told police he owed Madany money from a narcotic purchase several years ago. Police charged Madany with assault and robbery. He is currently being held in Rutland jail and is scheduled to appear today in Bennington criminal court.MORE IN This Just In(Editor’s note: This is the first in a five-part series looking into the investigation of... Full StoryMORETOWN — An invite into the Moretown home of Emily Johnson and Brian Mohr shows that they live... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1653, New Amsterdam incorporated on Governor's Island by the Dutch; first non-native resident of Manhattan is Caribbean-born JUAN RODRIGUEZ arrives to exploit beaver trade; Alexander Selkirk rescued after 4 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.