Man sentenced in pot-growing caseMarch 15,2013Man sentenced in pot-growing case
BENNINGTON ó An Arlington man received a deferred sentence after pleading guilty on Monday to a felony charge of growing marijuana at his home.
Shane Leland, 22, of Arlington, was arraigned in Bennington criminal court in November on a felony count of cultivation of more than three marijuana plants. On Monday, he pleaded guilty to that charge and a new misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana.
On the felony charge, Lelandís sentence will be deferred for three years. If he has no further legal trouble in that time, the charge will be removed from his record. For the misdemeanor, Leland was sentenced to serve one to three months in prison but all of the time was suspended and he was placed on probation.
Leland was arrested after Neila Yardley, Lelandís ex-girlfriend and the mother of his children, complained to police in September that Leland was growing marijuana at his home in Arlington where the children, who are 1 and 2 years old, were living. Yardley brought a marijuana plant to the Vermont State Police barracks in Shaftsbury to prove her claim, police said.
Yardley claimed Leland had grown and sold marijuana during their relationship when they lived together but during the sentencing hearing on Monday, prosecutors said there was no evidence Leland had ever grown marijuana for any purpose other than his own use.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.