Fire engulfs Fair Haven auto dealershipBy Lucia Suarez
Staff Writer | March 18,2013Photo Provided
FAIR HAVEN - Firefighters from three towns fought a fire that engulfed a Fair Haven auto dealership late Sunday night for more than five hours.
Fair Haven Fire Chief David Ward said the call came in around 9:20 p.m. Sunday and when they arrived to Ed Davis Auto Sales on Washington Street in Fair Haven, the business's three-bay garage was engulfed.
Moments after firefighters arrived on scene, the building's roof collapsed. Ward said they were taking out hoses and nobody was inside the building when the roof collapsed.
"It was a stubborn fire," he said. "Once it got into the roof rafters, it dried up quickly and fell."
The fire chief said the business's service garage was totally destroyed and the sales side of the building sustained intense heat and water damage. He said the owners were able to save some records and keys before they were damaged.
"The tin building is like an oven," Ward said.
Six vehicles, five inside the garage and one parked next to the building, were destroyed.
The fire scene was cleared around 2:30 a.m. early Monday morning. Ward said by the afternoon Monday the cause of the fire was undetermined, but fire investigators were called in.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.