Storm triggers cancellationsMarch 19,2013The impending snow storm has led to the cancellation of meetings and events around the city.
The Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce mixer, which was to be held from 5 to 7 p.m. tonight at the College of St. Joseph, has been cancelled. It has been rescheduled to 5 to 7 p.m. March 26.
The Rutland Regional Planning Commission has also cancelled all meetings and hearings scheduled for tonight.
Rutland Area Prevention Coalition has cancelled its meeting scheduled for this morning. The next meeting will be held at 9 a.m. April 16 at the Education and Wellness Center at 78 South Main St.
The Book Discussion Club meeting scheduled for this morning at St. Bridget’s Catholic Church in West Rutland has been cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
Additional closings, cancellations and delays will be published online at www.rutlandherald.com as the storm develops.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.