Man accused of pointing a gun at another person on FridayMarch 19,2013Man to face charges for gun threat
BENNINGTON — A man who was removed from an appointed town office last year after police said he falsified information on his application was accused over the weekend of pointing a gun at a man.
Chris Gagne, 38, of Bennington, is expected to be charged with felony counts of unlawful restraint, aggravated assault with deadly weapon and carrying a deadly weapon, according to a press release from Lt. Lloyd Dean of the Bennington Police.
Dean said that a Bennington resident, who police did not identify, came to the police station on Friday around 2:30 p.m. to make a complaint. The resident said Gagne pointed a gun at him during an argument inside a Union Street apartment.
Officers John Behan and Lawrence Cole took a statement from the resident and a witness who saw the two arguing. Behan obtained a search warrant for the Union Street apartment.
Police approached the apartment and knocked loudly with no answer. The apartment was kept under surveillance until a team of officers could be brought in to execute the search warrant but Gagne was not inside.
Police learned that Gagne was inside a home in Williamstown, Mass.
Officers with the Williamstown Police Department arrested Gagne at 2:30 a.m. at the home on Saturday as a fugitive from Vermont.
Dean said Gagne is expected to be arraigned in Massachusetts as a fugitive, which will begin the process by which he will be extradited back to Vermont to face the felony charges.
Gagne also has pending misdemeanor charges of false pretenses, possession of stolen property, providing false information to police and false advertising.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.