‘Even the Rain’ showing todayMarch 23,2013WOODSTOCK — The Billings Farm and Museum will show the award-winning film “Even the Rain” as part of the third annual Woodstock Vermont Film Series at 3 p.m. today.
Spanish director Sebastián, his executive producer, and crew are in Bolivia to shoot a motion picture about Christopher Columbus and his treatment of the native population. Sebastián chooses Bolivia as the location because of a tight film budget and things go smoothly until a conflict erupts over the privatization of the water supply.
Sebastian hires local actors to appear in his film but one of them is a leading activist in the protest movement and the film’s completion is in doubt. “Even the Rain” was nominated for Best Film at the European Film Awards and has won 16 awards.
Tickets for members are $9 for adults and $5 for children. Nonmembers are $11 for adults and $6 for children.
For a list of screenings and ticket information, call 457-2355 or visit www.billingsfarm.org/filmfest. The Billings Farm and Museum is on Route 12 in Woodstock.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.