‘Even the Rain’ showing todayMarch 23,2013WOODSTOCK — The Billings Farm and Museum will show the award-winning film “Even the Rain” as part of the third annual Woodstock Vermont Film Series at 3 p.m. today.
Spanish director Sebastián, his executive producer, and crew are in Bolivia to shoot a motion picture about Christopher Columbus and his treatment of the native population. Sebastián chooses Bolivia as the location because of a tight film budget and things go smoothly until a conflict erupts over the privatization of the water supply.
Sebastian hires local actors to appear in his film but one of them is a leading activist in the protest movement and the film’s completion is in doubt. “Even the Rain” was nominated for Best Film at the European Film Awards and has won 16 awards.
Tickets for members are $9 for adults and $5 for children. Nonmembers are $11 for adults and $6 for children.
For a list of screenings and ticket information, call 457-2355 or visit www.billingsfarm.org/filmfest. The Billings Farm and Museum is on Route 12 in Woodstock.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.