BENNINGTON ó Officials with the Vermont attorney generalís office and AARP are going to be hosting a forum in Bennington to warn senior citizens and others about the dangers of financial scams.
AARP Vermont Communications Director David Reville said the Thursday event at the Bennington Museum will be the first his organization and its partners have hosted in some time. And the last such event was held in northern Vermont.
One lottery scam that has been targeting people in Northern New England involves people being contacted by scammers claiming the need to pay a fee before they collect a lottery prize.
Reville told the Bennington Banner that itís hard to judge how many people are affected by the crimes because they are under-reported. He says many victims are embarrassed over being tricked.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe former superintendent of the Caledonia Central Supervisory Union involved in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.