MORETOWN — A Vermont landfill that was ordered closed has shut its gates.
The Moretown landfill had until mid-April to close, but it shut down on Saturday, leaving only one operating landfill in Vermont.
The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources this month ordered the Moretown landfill to close, citing odor problems and groundwater pollution.
WPTZ-TV reported that landfill officials said they closed earlier than required to prepare an appeal of the agency’s decision to the state’s environmental court.
Vermont now has only one landfill left used for trash disposal, in the northern Vermont town of Coventry.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Fancy a pint of Pliny the Elder or Heady Topper double India pale ales, but can’t... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation