Vt. National Guard furloughs postponedThe Associated Press | April 04,2013Furloughs affecting 500 Vermont National Guard members due to automatic federal spending cuts have been delayed.
Maj. Gen. Steven Cray, the Guard's adjutant general, told guard members in an email the furloughs will happen in mid- to late June, instead of April.
The Burlington Free Press obtained the email Wednesday.
To meet its share of automatic spending cuts known as sequestration, the Vermont Guard was preparing to put a day-per-week furlough order into effect for 500 members, effective from late April through September. The unpaid day off would mean a 20 percent cut in pay for affected Guard members.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.