Missing girl found after late-night searchStaff Report | April 05,2013A missing 7-year-old prompted a massive search effort in Rutland Thursday night, including assistance from New York State Policewhich dispatched a helicopter to fly over the city's northwest section where the girl was last seen.
Fortunately, the girl was found asleep in a residence on Pine Street, according to Rutland City Police.
Pine Street was the last place the girl was seen riding her bicycle before she was reported missing at 7 p.m. by her family on Library Avenue.
Police from the city along with Vermont State Police, Rutland County Sheriff's Department officers, state Department of Corrections personnel, Rutland City firefighters and personnel from the Vergennes Police Department and Fair Haven police canvassed the neighborhood for hours. When the search proved unsuccessful, police asked for help from state police in New York which sent a helicopter to search for the girl from the air.
At around 12:15 a.m., the girl was found unharmed and returned to her family.
"Everyone was just very relieved to have her home last night," Rutland police Sgt. John Sly said.
The girl was found sleeping on an air mattress prepared for her by the tenants at the apartment, Sly said. He also said the girl's family didn't know the people who live at 35 Pine St. where she was found.
But the girl was unharmed, the sergeant said. And despite the odd circumstances, Sly said no crime appeared to have taken place.
"At this particular point in time, it's looking like this is just a set of circumstances that could have been avoided," Sly said.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.