Suspect arraigned in stroller stabbingApril 06,2013BOSTON ó A Boston man has pleaded not guilty to taking part in the stabbing of his 21-year-old ex-girlfriend as she pushed their baby in a stroller.
Nineteen-year-old Daquan Sparks was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail at his arraignment Friday on a charge of assault with intent to murder.
Prosecutors said the victim told police Sparks asked her to meet him Monday so he could give their 8-month-old baby new shoes. They said the woman told investigators Sparks restrained her while his current girlfriend, 17-year-old Samia Jones, stabbed her several times.
The woman is expected to survive. The baby wasnít hurt.
Sparksí attorney said he did meet with the victim but didnít know Jones was going to attack her, and didnít participate.
Jones is held on $50,000 after pleading not guilty to the same charge as Sparks.MORE IN News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.