Leicester school budget revote set for TuesdayBy Josh O'Gorman
Staff Writer | April 08,2013LEICESTER — Residents will return to the polls today to vote on a revised budget for the Leicester School District.
The School Board is proposing a budget of $1,117,640 for fiscal year 2013-14, an increase of $56,982, or 5.3 percent, compared to the current budget of $1,060,658.
On Town Meeting Day, residents defeated a proposed budget of $1,127,521 by a vote of 73 to 65. That proposal would have raised the budget by 66,863, or 6.3 percent.
The School Board has trimmed $9,881 from the first proposal.
The revised proposal would raise the residential tax rate from $1.32 to $1.39, or about a penny less than the prior proposed budget.
Residents will vote from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Town Offices.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.