Leicester school budget revote set for TuesdayBy Josh O'Gorman
Staff Writer | April 08,2013LEICESTER — Residents will return to the polls today to vote on a revised budget for the Leicester School District.
The School Board is proposing a budget of $1,117,640 for fiscal year 2013-14, an increase of $56,982, or 5.3 percent, compared to the current budget of $1,060,658.
On Town Meeting Day, residents defeated a proposed budget of $1,127,521 by a vote of 73 to 65. That proposal would have raised the budget by 66,863, or 6.3 percent.
The School Board has trimmed $9,881 from the first proposal.
The revised proposal would raise the residential tax rate from $1.32 to $1.39, or about a penny less than the prior proposed budget.
Residents will vote from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Town Offices.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.