Leicester school budget revote set for TuesdayBy Josh O'Gorman
Staff Writer | April 08,2013LEICESTER — Residents will return to the polls today to vote on a revised budget for the Leicester School District.
The School Board is proposing a budget of $1,117,640 for fiscal year 2013-14, an increase of $56,982, or 5.3 percent, compared to the current budget of $1,060,658.
On Town Meeting Day, residents defeated a proposed budget of $1,127,521 by a vote of 73 to 65. That proposal would have raised the budget by 66,863, or 6.3 percent.
The School Board has trimmed $9,881 from the first proposal.
The revised proposal would raise the residential tax rate from $1.32 to $1.39, or about a penny less than the prior proposed budget.
Residents will vote from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Town Offices.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.