Former city attorney ID’d as driver in fatal hit-and-runApril 11,2013By Brent Curtis
Former Rutland City attorney Christopher Sullivan has been identified as the driver involved in a fatal hit-and-run crash in the city Wednesday night.
In a statement issued by city police Thursday evening, Sullivan, 53, was identified as the driver although police also said he has not been charged with any crimes in relation to the death of 71-year-old Jane Outslay who died hours after she was struck while crossing Strongs Avenue at about 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Police Chief James Baker said Sullivan, through his attorney, turned his vehicle over to detectives who are examining it. The make and model of the vehicle were not disclosed and Baker said the vehicle was being sequestered while the investigation continued.
While Sullivan, who was city attorney under former mayors Jeffrey Wennberg and John Cassarino, has not been charged with any crimes, Baker said charges were pending and Rutland County State’s Attorney Marc Brierre and the Vermont attorney general’s office were involved in reviewing the case.
A press conference has been scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. to provide further information in the case.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call city police at 773-1816.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.