Vt. House rejects
bids for jet debate
MONTPELIER — The Vermont House has rejected attempts to debate the basing of the F-35 fighter jet in Burlington.
During debate Wednesday on a bill to retool the way the top officer in the Vermont National Guard is chosen, House Speaker Shap Smith ruled non-germane a series of amendments offered by Rep. George Cross that would have brought the F-35 issue into the debate.
In one instance, the Winooski Democrat asked for a vote of the House on whether to overrule the speaker. That move was defeated 126 to 11.
The underlying bill would set new standards candidates for the adjutant general’s job would have to meet and create a new board to review applications and make recommendations to the Legislature.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.