Vt. House rejects
bids for jet debate
MONTPELIER — The Vermont House has rejected attempts to debate the basing of the F-35 fighter jet in Burlington.
During debate Wednesday on a bill to retool the way the top officer in the Vermont National Guard is chosen, House Speaker Shap Smith ruled non-germane a series of amendments offered by Rep. George Cross that would have brought the F-35 issue into the debate.
In one instance, the Winooski Democrat asked for a vote of the House on whether to overrule the speaker. That move was defeated 126 to 11.
The underlying bill would set new standards candidates for the adjutant general’s job would have to meet and create a new board to review applications and make recommendations to the Legislature.MORE IN Vermont NewsJames Jeffords called it his “first vivid memory.” It was just before Christmas 1939. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.