Judge sets trial
in firearms case
A federal judge has set a date for picking a jury in the firearms trial of a Vermont man who had made comments that amounted to a confession in the killing of an elderly Sheffield woman.
U.S. District Judge Christina Reiss set a jury draw in Michael Norrie’s case for June 17. A trial was scheduled for July 18-July 21 in Rutland.
Norrie, 22, of Sheffield pleaded innocent to charges of possessing a stolen firearm and possessing a firearm while using controlled substances.
During questioning by police in January 2011, Norrie allegedly made incriminating statements about the shooting death of 78-year-old Mary “Pat” O’Hagan in 2010.
Reiss said the statements can be used at his trial.
No one has been charged in the killing of O’Hagan.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.