Merrill A. Bruce RitesApril 18,2013Merrill A. Bruce Rites
CASTLETON — The graveside service with military honors for Merrill A. Bruce, 89, who died April 14, 2013, was held Wednesday, April 17, at St. Mary’s Cemetery.
The Rev. James Lawrence, pastor of Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church in Fair Haven, officiated.
Bearers were Jefferey Bruce, Michael Bruce, William Perry, Luke Perry and Bruce Longtin.
Military honors were provided by the American Legion Post # 49 and the Vermont National Guard Military Funeral Honor Guard.
Arrangements were by the Durfee Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.