Vermont Farmstead Cheese wins silver medal at cheese competitionApril 18,2013Cheese wins silver medal
WINDSOR — Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company won second place for its BrickHaus Tilsit cheese at the 2013 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest in Green Bay Wis. The U.S. Championship Cheese Contest is the first major national cheese competition of the year.
The competition graded products spanning 82 categories, with VFCC’s BrickHaus Tilsit receiving a 98.65 rating out of 100, placing it second in the Open Class Semi-Soft category. This year’s competition drew a record-breaking 1,702 entries from cheesemakers across the country.
“Our BrickHaus Tilsit has proven a favorite among industry experts and consumers alike, having received five awards for excellence in the past two years,” VFCC Head Cheesemaker Rick Woods said. “This cheese is a fantastic representation of our team’s talent and I’m thrilled that it’s getting the attention it deserves.”
VFCC is the recipient of 33 industry awards to date, a major accomplishment for the company which has been producing farmstead and artisanal cheeses for just over two years.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.