Vermont Farmstead Cheese wins silver medal at cheese competitionApril 18,2013Cheese wins silver medal
WINDSOR — Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company won second place for its BrickHaus Tilsit cheese at the 2013 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest in Green Bay Wis. The U.S. Championship Cheese Contest is the first major national cheese competition of the year.
The competition graded products spanning 82 categories, with VFCC’s BrickHaus Tilsit receiving a 98.65 rating out of 100, placing it second in the Open Class Semi-Soft category. This year’s competition drew a record-breaking 1,702 entries from cheesemakers across the country.
“Our BrickHaus Tilsit has proven a favorite among industry experts and consumers alike, having received five awards for excellence in the past two years,” VFCC Head Cheesemaker Rick Woods said. “This cheese is a fantastic representation of our team’s talent and I’m thrilled that it’s getting the attention it deserves.”
VFCC is the recipient of 33 industry awards to date, a major accomplishment for the company which has been producing farmstead and artisanal cheeses for just over two years.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.