Karen D. MeekApril 20,2013Karen D. Meek
LONGMONT, CO. — Karen Dawn Meek of Longmont, CO, died March 29, 2013, at Longmont United Hospital with her mother by her side. She was born August 21 at Boston Lying In Hospital. She was 59.
Her childhood years were spent in the St. Johnsbury area of the Northeast Kingdom near her beloved grandparents, Burns and Hazel Heath. She moved to the Rutland area in 1965, and graduated from Otter Valley Union High School in 1971.
Fishing was always her favorite sport and her love of horses was also great. She was an excellent skier and skater. Gardening and landscaping were her favorite forms of employment, and throughout her life she remained her mother’s “gardening encyclopedia.”
Karen was predeceased by her father, Robert Dale Meek, in 1997. She is survived by her mother, Marcia J. Rose of Rutland; her sister and niece, Merrylee and Robin Meek of Brawley, CA; and several aunts, uncles and cousins in northern Vermont.
A service of remembrance will be held at Church of the Wildwood in Chittenden on May 12 at 1 p.m., with the Rev. Shirley Oskamp officiating.
Memorial contributions may be made to Church of the Wildwood. P.O. Box 36, Holden Road, Chittenden, VT 05737; or to Rutland County Humane Society, 739 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.