Former caregiver accused of fraudApril 26,2013Former caregiver accused of fraud
BRATTLEBORO — A former caregiver for an elderly Vermont couple has been accused of defrauding them by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account.
Jamie Gene Thompson pleaded innocent in federal court in Brattleboro on Thursday. He was indicted by a grand jury in February.
Thompson became a live-in care provider for a couple in Charlotte in 2010. He provided medical and physical assistance and transportation. He also handled some of the couple’s finances.
The indictment says that between September and October 2012, Thompson allegedly defrauded the couple by using their credit card to make about $9,000 in unauthorized purchases. He also allegedly made about $46,000 in unauthorized withdrawals from the investment account.
Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.