Rose M. TobiasApril 27,2013
Rose M. TobiasRose M. Tobias
BENNINGTON — Rose Marie Tobias died Jan. 3, 2013, at her home after a short illness.
She was born Oct. 5, 1925, daughter of Percy and Amelia “Becker” Brock.
She was a graduate of Poughkeepsie High School and Albany State College. She lost her fiancé, an Air Force pilot, in an air crash in Burma during World War II.
Following her first marriage, she was a nurse in St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
She married Charles R. Tobias on April 25, 1978.
She enjoyed ballroom dancing, roller-skating, and skiing. She also enjoyed reading, playing bridge, fishing and golf.
Survivors include her husband, Charles “Chuck” R. Tobias; her three children, Robb Bower of California; Randolph Bower of New York; and Rose Mary McGuire of New Hampshire; stepchildren C. Richard Tobias and James E. Tobias, both of Florida; Paul J. Tobias, of New York; Jane T. Sleight of Virginia; and John P. Tobias, of California; five grandchildren, eight step-grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren; and a sister, Virginia Walsh of New Paltz, N.Y.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, May 4, 2013, at 10 a.m. at the Second Congregational Church in Bennington. Following committal in Park Lawn Cemetery, a reception will be held at the Mount Anthony Country Club.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute or Southwestern Vermont Medical Center-Oncology.
Arrangements are under the direction of Mahar & Son Funeral Home in Bennington.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.