Suspect wounded in police shootingApril 27,2013Suspect wounded
in police shooting
WINOOSKI — A Vermont man who was shot in the thigh by a Winooski police officer after a confrontation has pleaded innocent to related charges.
A judge Friday said Isaac Sage, 35, of Winooski should undergo a mental health evaluation to determine his sanity at the time of the incident and whether he is mentally competent for court proceedings.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Sage has been treated and released from the hospital.
Vermont State Police said two officers were responding to a trespassing complaint Thursday afternoon when Sage resisted arrest and punched an officer in the face, causing a concussion and broken nose.
Police said an officer used a stun gun, but when it failed to subdue Sage, one of the officers fired his gun.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?