• Hot ashes caused Lyndonville fire
    April 27,2013
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
     
    Hot ashes caused

    Lyndonville blaze

    LYNDONVILLE — Fire investigators said Lyndonville fire that destroyed a farmhouse and a nearby garage started because a pail of hot fireplace ashes was left too close to the house.

    The Jewell Hill Road house and adjacent garage with an upstairs apartment were destroyed by the Wednesday afternoon fire.

    Police said homeowner Bryan Smith suffered minor burns trying to extinguish the fire.

    The buildings are considered a total loss. Damage was estimated at almost $270,000.

    Lyndonville Fire Chief Greg Hopkins said windy conditions and lack of water made fighting the fire difficult. Sparks ignited a grass fire a quarter-mile away.
    • Email Article
    •  
    •  Print Article
    2 Comments
    MORE IN This Just In
    WELLS — Vermont State Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a 17-year-old who was... Full Story
    Police looking for missing Wells teen
    Two incidents at the Clear River Inn in Pittsfield this weekend resulted in two men under arrest... Full Story
    A local group founded in 2003 by the parent of a child with cystic fibrosis will hold its 11th... Full Story
    More Articles