Newfane man charged after rendezvous with teenApril 28,2013Online friendship
ends in charges
WARDSBORO — A Newfane man was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor after smoking marijuana with a 14-year-old girl he met on Facebook, according to Vermont State Police.
Officers found them in a car parked on Fairview Road in Wardsboro last week after responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle, police said.
Police say they determined that Daniel Burdick, 19, had been communicating with the girl through social media and they decided to meet. Burdick was cited to court on a misdemeanor charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, police said. He was also issued a traffic ticket for driving without a valid license.
Police urged parents to monitor their children’s social media activity.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.