Forest fire breaks out at Wilgus State ParkStaff Report | May 01,2013ASCUTNEY - About 20 trucks from many local fire departments responded to a forest fire Wednesday afternoon near Wilgus State Park.
The fire started around 1 p.m. and firefighters got it under control by 3:30 p.m., according to Ascutney Fire Chief Darrin Spaulding.
The fire had spread to about 3 acres before it was controlled, he said.
The chief said he believed the fire was started by motorcyclists at the scene off Route 5 south of Ascutney, across from Wilgus State Park.
Other forest or brush fires were also reported in Windsor and nearby Cornish, N.H., as well as in Hardwick in northern Vermont.
Spaulding said he had received instructions from the state level not to issue any further burn permits due to dry conditions.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?