Jack BarberMay 03,2013
Jack BarberJack Barber
BELLOWS FALLS — Jack Barber, 86, died Wednesday, May 1, 2013, at Springfield Health & Rehabilitation Center.
He was born Aug. 4, 1926, the son of Ralph and Julia (Slattery) Barber.
He received his early education at St. Charles Parochial School and graduated from Bellows Falls High School, Class of 1944.
He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean conflict, achieving the rank of quartermaster second class. In 1953, he married Eleanor Kangas.
He worked at Morton Motors, General Motors, and later for Holmes and St. Johnsbury Trucking, where he retired in 1988 as a salesman.
He was a lifetime member, past exalted ruler and past state president of the Elks. He was also a member of the American Legion and BFADC, and served as a justice of the peace.
In addition, he was a communicant and lector at St. Charles Church.
Survivors include two daughters, Judy Chisamore and Jayne Barber; three grandchildren; three sisters, MaryAnn Wilkins, Jane Putnam and Ginny Rickard; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his wife in 1994, and by a sister Kay Hughes.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, May 3, 2013, at 3 p.m. at St. Charles Church in Bellows Falls, with burial to follow in St. Charles Cemetery.
Friends called Thursday at Fenton & Hennessey Funeral Home in Bellows Falls.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Silver Towers Camp, 241 Lincoln Ave., Rutland, VT 05701; or New England Kurn Hattin Homes, PO Box 127, Westminster, VT 05158.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.