Rutland man, caught on camera, arrested for larcenyBy Susan Smallheer
Staff Writer | May 04,2013BRATTLEBORO — A Rutland man was arrested in Brattleboro after his clear picture taken by a surveillance camera during the robbery of a gas station was posted on social media sites.
Robert P. Johnston, 27, was arrested at a Putney Road motel and charged with stealing $160 from the Shell station on Canal Street on Monday night, according to court documents.
Johnston was on furlough and considered on escape status, for a similar conviction, said Windham County Deputy State’s Attorney Steve Brown. He was arraigned Wednesday in Brattleboro criminal court.
Brown said Johnston had been convicted in Bennington County for a similar offense in 2012. He has earlier convictions for forgery in Rutland County, he said, and as a result he was charged with being a habitual offender. Brown said he had six previous felony convictions.
Brown said Johnston had been staying at the America’s Best Motel on Putney Road, and once the surveillance photo from the Shell station was posted, Brattleboro police were able to go to the motel and arrest him.
“The community aided us, helped us, in apprehending him,” said the prosecutor.
Brown declined to say how the police made the arrest so quickly. The photos showed Johnston quite plainly.
Johnston is charged with larceny from a person, a felony, he said. Johnston allegedly reached into the open register and grabbed the money and no weapons were used.
Johnston is being held without bail on the larceny from a person charge, he said, but because he was on escape status, the Department of Corrections had placed a “hold” on him anyway.MORE IN Southern VermontIn honor of the sesquicentennial of the end of the Civil War, Brattleboro veterans are putting... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.