NEWPORT — Two 25-year-old Vermont men have pleaded guilty to making a pipe bomb.
In a plea agreement, Nathaniel Chaffee of Newport and John Glover of Troy pleaded guilty Friday to a felony count of manufacturing, possessing and transporting a destructive device, and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
Police said a woman saw Chaffee, Glover and a third man leave a house with the explosive device last May. Police later stopped them in Newport and closed a section of Route 5 while the state police bomb squad investigated, but the device never went off.
The Caledonian-Record reported that under the plea agreement, Chaffee and Glover will each three-year deferred sentences for the felony and two to three days in jail for the misdemeanor.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.