NEWPORT ó Two 25-year-old Vermont men have pleaded guilty to making a pipe bomb.
In a plea agreement, Nathaniel Chaffee of Newport and John Glover of Troy pleaded guilty Friday to a felony count of manufacturing, possessing and transporting a destructive device, and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.
Police said a woman saw Chaffee, Glover and a third man leave a house with the explosive device last May. Police later stopped them in Newport and closed a section of Route 5 while the state police bomb squad investigated, but the device never went off.
The Caledonian-Record reported that under the plea agreement, Chaffee and Glover will each three-year deferred sentences for the felony and two to three days in jail for the misdemeanor.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.