Police, FBI raid Bennington massage parlorsMay 07,2013BENNINGTON - Local police and agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation raided two massage parlors on Tuesday in what they said was an investigation into possible human trafficking and prostitution.
While no arrests were made on Tuesday, police said the execution of search warrants at the Green Spa on Main Street and at the Cozy Spa on North Street might lead to arrests in the future.
Police said they had been investigating the businesses for almost two years, conducting surveillance and doing interviews.
Detective Sgt. David Rowland, of the Bennington Police Department, said the FBI was involved because of the possibility that there was human trafficking taking place at the massage parlors. Rowland said he spoke with three women who he said were originally from China. While he said he confirmed one was in the United States legally, he said the status of the other two women was not as clear.
While he said he couldn’t provide details, Rowland said he believed some of the material seized on Tuesday, which included business records and electronic devices, was evidence of illegal activity.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.