Vt. towns road signs stolenMay 13,2013THETFORD — Officials in a small Vermont town say more than half the town’s road signs have been stolen over the past few months.
Thetford Public Works Director Scott Knowlton said 50 of the town’s aluminum signs identifying the names of roads have been pilfered, possibly for to sell as scrap metal, but none of the town’s traffic signs have been stolen.
The Valley News reported that the town on Thursday ordered 27 replacement signs from the state’s prison system, where inmates produce them, and expects to order more in the coming weeks.
Police Chief Jim Lanctot said the thefts could potentially cause problems for emergency response vehicles responding to calls and for out-of-towners who aren’t familiar with the town.MORE IN This Just InIn the year since he was arraigned in the hit and run killing of a Mendon woman, former Rutland... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.