Del. police arrest suspect in reputed smugglingThe Associated Press | May 18,2013DOVER, Del. — A man arrested in Delaware as part of the takedown of an alleged East Coast cigarette smuggling ring that may have funneled money to terrorist groups is being held on $12.5 million cash bail.
State police arrested Adel Abuzahrieh, 47, of Staten Island, N.Y., this week after a traffic stop on Route 1 near Milford. Police say they found 201 cases of cigarettes in the box truck he was driving and seized between $15,000 and $20,000 in cash.
Delaware State Police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack said Abuzahrieh was arrested by members of a DSP special operations response team who were alerted to his whereabouts.
Shavack said Abuzahrieh loaded up a 2007 Mitsubishi box truck with cigarettes stored at a facility in Selbyville and began driving north on Route 1. He was taken into custody without incident and arrested on a fugitive warrant from New York alleging “enterprise corruption,” Shavack said.
New York authorities allege Abuzahrieh is part of a smuggling ring that made a fortune selling more than a million cartons of untaxed cigarettes in New York and may have funneled some of the proceeds to terrorist groups.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Three Vermont ski areas at least partially located in the Green Mountain National... Full StoryCity Council This Week Lends Support to Citizens to Protect Berlin Pond Petition Full StoryBOSTON — “I need to run.” Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.