NEWPORT — A Vermont woman who admitted that she had unlawful sexual encounters with a 14-year-old boy will spend at least 10 year on the sex-offender registry.
Michelle Deaette of Newport pleaded guilty this week in Orleans County criminal court to several lewd conduct charges. The state dismissed a felony count of sexual assault on a minor less than 16 years of age.
The Caledonian-Record reported that the boy, who now lives in Florida, told investigators the 21-year-old Deaette had sex with him from mid-August to mid-September 2012.
Deaette was sentenced to 20 to 24 months, suspended except the 167 days she’s already served. She’ll be on probation for three years, during which time she must either complete her GED or earn her high school diploma.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,