NEWPORT — A Vermont woman who admitted that she had unlawful sexual encounters with a 14-year-old boy will spend at least 10 year on the sex-offender registry.
Michelle Deaette of Newport pleaded guilty this week in Orleans County criminal court to several lewd conduct charges. The state dismissed a felony count of sexual assault on a minor less than 16 years of age.
The Caledonian-Record reported that the boy, who now lives in Florida, told investigators the 21-year-old Deaette had sex with him from mid-August to mid-September 2012.
Deaette was sentenced to 20 to 24 months, suspended except the 167 days she’s already served. She’ll be on probation for three years, during which time she must either complete her GED or earn her high school diploma.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.