Man pleads in fraud casesMay 18,2013Man pleads in fraud cases
BURLINGTON — A Wolcott man has pleaded not guilty to selling used vehicles he is alleged to have tampered with in order to get a better price.
Douglas Jordan, 40, was charged with fraud and firearms charges in U.S. District Court in Burlington on Thursday.
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Jordan, doing business under the name Auto Credit Solutions, bought high-mileage used cars at auctions in Vermont and resold them. The department says Jordan would do things like removing or disabling warning lights for anti-lock brakes, air bags and check engine systems and is also accused of rolling back a truck’s odometer 100,000 miles so he could get a better selling price on the vehicles.
Jordan is also charged with having a firearm as a felon, as the department says he has a felony driving conviction in Massachusetts.
If convicted, Jordan faces a maximum of 20 years and a $250,000 fine.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.