MONTPELIER — Vermont State Auditor Doug Hoffer is praising lawmakers for passing legislation to clean up glitches in the state’s so-called tax increment financing program.
Tax increment financing is a public financing method that provides communities with a means to fund redevelopment and infrastructure improvements. A community is allowed to borrow money against the future growth in property tax revenue within a designated TIF district that is made possible by the improvements.
Last year, then-Auditor Tom Salmon issued a report saying that some cities and towns had not handled their TIF districts properly and therefore owed money to the state education fund — a finding disputed by the municipalities.
Hoffer said the bill passed by lawmakers should clear up ambiguities in the law that likely contributed to the problems.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — House Speaker Shap Smith has thrown cold water on two ideas that some Democrats hope... Full StoryMONTPELIER — New management plans for a vast section of Vermont’s remote Northeast Kingdom — an... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.