2 charged with attempted murder in Vt. house fireThe Associated Press | May 20,2013Police in the Vermont community of Morristown say two women have been charged with attempted murder for allegedly setting fire to a house occupied by a family.
Thirty-five-year-old Leola Bell and 40-year-old Tina Cole pleaded not guilty on Friday to attempted first-degree murder and first-degree arson charges.
Police say no one was injured, but the residence was damaged.
Two other people are facing arson charges in the case. Police say 57-year-old Cynthia Bell and 49-year-old Gwen Hislop of Morristown will be arraigned on charges of accessory to arson for their roles in the fire at 80 George St.
More charges are expected.
Cole and Bell are being held on $100,000 bail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.