Vt. city, teachers work on new contractThe Associated Press | May 20,2013SOUTH BURLINGTON - The school board and teachers in the Vermont city of South Burlington are hoping a mediator can help them reach an agreement on a new contract.
Negotiations have been under way since November and a mediator from Boston met with both parties May 15 but was unable to resolve an impasse in negotiations.
A fact-finding report is due mid-summer.
The Burlington Free Press reported neither side is willing to discuss the details of the negotiations.
The current contract expires June 30 but it includes a clause extending the terms of the contract if no new agreement has been reached.
The starting salary for South Burlington teachers is just over $41,000 with a maximum salary of $85,382.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.