Marsalis speaks, plays at UVMMay 20,2013BURLINGTON — More than 3,000 University of Vermont students have received degrees at the school’s 211th graduation ceremony.
Jazz musician Wynton Marsalis was the commencement speaker at Sunday’s outdoor ceremony on the campus at the Burlington school. Following his talk, Marsalis picked up his trumpet and played “When the Saints Going Marching In” with the crowd clapping in time.
In all, more than 3,250 graduates received bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and medical doctor degrees. Graduates came from 44 states and 17 countries.
Marsalis and four other people received honorary degrees.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.